Newman Lake Clean Up Day – April 24th!
New this year – Dock Demo Day – Same day as road-side clean up!
TIME: 8am – 1pm
WHERE: Meet at Newman Lake Fish & Fish game public launch Saturday morning 8am – 1pm
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Click here for volunteer needs and sign up to volunteer. Or call Tom at 509-869-0343 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have specific questions.
- CLEAN UP DAY & DOCK DEMO DAY!
- Community Groups with information: LOVE Newman Lake, Spokane County Marine Sheriff unit, Gonzaga Students talking about Beaver Dam Analogs and more!
- Road-side trash pick up. Check in at the public launch after 8am and NLPOA volunteers will assign a location to pick up roadside trash. You will be given trash bags, gloves and safety vests.
- If you pick up trash ahead of clean up day: please email email@example.com and notify us of the location you have completed. You may drop off the trash bags at the public launch prior to Saturday of Clean Up Day or leave them on the side of the road for rover volunteers to pick up on Saturday.
- Sunshine Disposal is donating bins for trash disposal and the trash from demoing docks.
- Dock Demo – If you LOVE to break up things we need your help!!
- We need a few boats to haul in the docks Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning.
- We need a dump trailer/truck to haul wood to a nearby burn pile.
- Bring sawzalls, chain saws, crowbars, screw guns/bits, rakes, bolt cutter and wire cutters if you have them along with a good set of gloves for the actual demoing.
- We need volunteers to help with food, photography, dock demolition and a variety of tasks. CLICK HERE TO VOLUNTEER. COVID protocols will be followed.
The plan is to demo ten docks maximum this year: 5 from the public and 5 or what we can accomplish from abandoned ones in the weeds and lily pads.
*docks must be able to be towed to the public launch and lifted from the water. If your dock is too heavy or is grounded NLPOA will not be able to help you during this event. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to request to have your dock on the public list. There is a $100 donation to the NLPOA for public dock demo.
– Spokane County Sheriff’s Office, Marine Enforcement Unit – boater safety and outreach
– Gonzaga University Civil Engineering Professor, Dr. Sue Neizgoda, and Design Team, has partnered with local environmental non-profit group, The Lands Council, to design and implement a water quality solution aimed at addressing incoming phosphorus from Thompson Creek, the largest external source of phosphorus to Newman Lake (WA Dept. of Ecology, 2007). Sue and her team has worked with a Thompson Creek property owner to design a series of imitation beaver dams to retain sediment in Thompson Creek and prevent it from washing into Newman Lake. The Gonzaga design team and The Lands Council project coordinator will be available during Clean Up Day to share the project with the Newman Lake Community and answer questions.
– LOVE Newman Lake & Lake Care OKAY’D program information. Stop by and receive a free LOVE Newman Lake magnet or window cling and find out ways you can help keep our lake healthy. CLICK HERE for more information.
At this time no clean green effort is planned nor is there any effort for planting trees. If either of these topics are of interest to you please contact email@example.com with your interest.